Sweet Potato Black Bean Enchiladas
Here in Arizona, we take immense pride in southwestern cuisine, a staple of which is a nice, hearty enchilada. Usually, these bad boys are stuffed with meat and cheese and smothered with spicy red sauce. But can a vegan version shine against our cheesy counterpart? I thought I'd give it a shot!
Not to toot my own horn, but these sweet potato and black bean enchiladas are pretty darn good for those days where you're feeling a nice, hearty southwestern dinner. Give em a shot!
6 large tortillas
2 large sweet potatoes
1 can of black beans, drained
1/2 yellow onion, diced
1 tablespoon taco seasoning
1 12 oz bottle/ can of enchilada sauce
1/2 head of iceberg lettuce, shredded
glug of avocado oil
guacamole, green onions, salsa, cilantro, etc.
1) Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Place two sweet potatoes on a large baking sheet. Poke several times with a fork.
2) Cook sweet potatoes in oven for 40-60 minutes until tender.
3) Meanwhile, saute diced onion in avocado oil over medium heat until translucent, around 5-8 minutes. Add taco seasoning and can of black beans. Stir and cook until heated through, around 3 minutes.
4) Prepare enchilada making station. Set out 3 large plate/ bowls. One will hold the heated tortillas. Pour 1/2 the enchilada sauce onto the second plate. The third plate will be the building and rolling plate.
5) Heat the tortillas by zapping in the microwave for 1 minute.
6) Remove the sweet potatoes from the oven. Dice into small cubes.
7) Preheat oven to 350.
8) Start assembling the enchiladas by taking one heated tortilla and dipping both sides into the enchilada sauce. Then add a few spoonfuls of the black bean/ onion mixture. Then add a few spoonfuls of sweet potato cubes. Fold both ends of the enchilada and wrap up. Place into a casserole dish. Continue this process with the remaining enchiladas.
9) Once all the enchiladas are assembled and inside the casserole dish, pour the remaining enchilada sauce over the top.
10) Place casserole dish in the oven for 30 minutes.
11) Remove from oven. Top with shredded lettuce and any optional toppings. Enjoy!!