Another day, another pasta dish! I can blame it on my Italian roots, but let's be honest, pasta is one of the easiest meals to improvise. The noodles are a blank canvas that you can color with the veggies of your choosing. In this dish, I made a creamy sauce using coconut yogurt, keeping it plant based but delicious with a splash of some lemon juice to brighten it up!
1/2 pound of pasta (whole wheat, lentil, gluten-free, etc)
1/2 red onion, diced
2 cloves garlic, minced
8 oz sliced mushrooms
6 oz unsweetened coconut yogurt (I like sodelicious)
3 big handfuls of spinach
juice of 1/2 a lemon
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
salt + pepper, to taste
1) Boil large pot of water. Add pasta and stir. Continue to cook until al dente.
2) In a large saute pan, add extra virgin olive oil, red onion, garlic, salt, and pepper. Allow to cook until onions are translucent.
3) Add mushrooms. Stir frequently. Cook for additional 5 minutes or until mushrooms have reduced in size and begin to brown.
4) Add the coconut yogurt, lemon juice, and spinach. Stir to wilt spinach and create creamy sauce, about 2 minutes.
5) Drain pasta and add to sauce. Season with salt and pepper. Enjoy!